This healthy white turkey chili recipe contains delicious vegetables, herbs, and spices. We love the idea of a top-your-own chili bar that makes entertaining easy and fun! Serve your chili with various toppings, chips, cornbread, and fresh corn.
Delicious, hearty white turkey chili made with white meat turkey, northern white beans, and lots of veggies! This version is easy to make and hits all the chili yum notes!
Since we are committed to eating healthy, we use every opportunity to sneak in some extra plant-forward goodness. The leeks, shallots, extra garlic, carrots, and celery hit the mark! I always think of chili as an American Southwest recipe, but the ingredients are very Mediterranean Diet in nature.
Healthy White Turkey Chili Ingredients
Turkey – We always seek out the best quality possible. We chatted with the butcher, who suggested air-chilled Mary’s organic ground white turkey.
Spices – 2 level tablespoons of chili powder added just the right amount of heat for us. If you like it spicier, turn up the heat by adding more. ¼ cup fresh oregano equals four teaspoons of dried oregano if you can’t locate the fresh herb.
Vegetables – We used shallots, leeks, and garlic, adding that rich layer of flavor. Carrots and celery completed the trilogy and upped the health factor. The vegetables melt into the chili. You can also add frozen corn.
Beans– Most grocers carry organic white beans. Rinse before adding to the pot. Besides being delicious, they add density and creaminess to the chili.
Cheese – We used very mild mozzarella cheese. You could also use cheddar or any cheese of your liking. You can also enjoy this dish without the cheese.
How to Make Healthy White Ground Turkey Chili
Once you have diced your vegetables add the garlic to a sauté pan coated with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the garlic is golden. Add the rest of the veggies and cook until the leeks are transparent.
Place the crushed tomatoes, chili powder, bay leaves, and oregano in a large pot and reduce to a low simmer. Meanwhile, sauté your turkey in a large pan coated with olive oil until the turkey is no longer pink. Add turkey, veggies, and drained beans to the sauce. Cook the chili on low for 45 minutes to an hour. Stir occasionally. Add salt to taste.
This turkey chili recipe is delicious alone or heaped over rice with your choice of toppings. It’s also a great dish to serve to guests. Who doesn’t like a chili bar with all the fixings?
HOW TO FREEZE WHITE TURKEY CHILI
This chili is hearty and comforting and freezes well! The best method is to place the chili in individual glass containers with lids.
Serving Options for Turkey Chili
- Add some grated cheese, scallions, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with brown rice to up the fiber content.
- Cornbread is always a hit with chili!
- Some people like Chili with pasta. I tried it in Cincinnati, and it’s fantastic!
- If you like it spicy, add some hot sauce.
- Add a cup or two of corn to your chili. It adds sweetness.
- You can also make this recipe vegan. Leave out the ground turkey and add extra beans!
- You can also substitute the leeks for onions.
Amazing Healthy White Turkey Chili
Delicious, hearty white turkey chili made with white meat turkey, northern white beans, and veggies. This version is easy to make and hits all the chili yum notes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Total Time: One Hour Twenty Minutes
- Yield: 8 Cups 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Gluten Free
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 large carrots-diced
3 celery stalks-diced
1 leek -diced (or one diced yellow onion)
1 red bell pepper diced
1 medium shallot-diced
5 cloves garlic-finely diced
3 – 28 oz cans of organic crushed tomatoes such as Bionaturae Crushed Tomatoes (look for a brand without preservatives)
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh oregano or 4 tsp. dried oregano
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 pounds ground white meat turkey
4 cans of organic northern white beans-drained
1 bunch of green onions (scallions) – diced
8 ounces young fresh mozzarella – shredded
- Rinse all vegetables and dice.
- In a sauté pan, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat; add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the rest of the diced vegetables and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the leeks are transparent.
Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Place crushed tomatoes in a cooking pot and place on the stove over medium heat. Add the sautéed vegetables and oregano, bay leaves, and chili powder. Simmer the sauce on low.
- Cook the turkey in a frying pan, ensuring it’s cooked all through, no pink. Drain any liquid and add turkey to the sauce on the stove.
- Drain the four cans of white beans and rinse under running water; add beans to the sauce and turkey on the stove. Let the chili simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Salt to taste.
- This dish tastes terrific with steamed rice & or cornbread. Delicious topped with shredded mozzarella or good American cheese and green onions.
*Make sure to remove the Bay Leaves before serving.
Serve with various toppings such as cornbread, chopped onions or scallions, corn chips, and grated cheese.
Keywords: White Turkey Chili, Gluten-Free, Mediterranean Diet