Are you looking for a flavor-filled chicken recipe that you can get on the table fast and have delicious leftovers for the next day? This Easy Gluten-Free Orange Chicken Recipe is always a big hit! It’s tender and succulent with a sweet and spicy garlic-infused Orange Sauce. Kids and adults love it.
We love chicken, and having a new recipe in your arsenal is nice. This one was a big hit with my husband. I served it with rice and steamed broccoli with extra marinade at the table. If you love these recipes like our Easy Crusted Chicken Romano then you will love this one!
What’s Special About This Orange Chicken Recipe
- The chicken is tender and succulent
- The sauce is simple and excellent with garlic, orange, and ginger.
- Easy to get on the table
- Simple ingredients
- Restaurant quality chicken you can make at home
- The leftovers taste just as good!
Just a few ingredients
Orange Chicken Instructions – Step by Step
- 1. Cut Chicken Breasts in half horizontally. Place chicken pieces in a plastic bag and pound with a mallet until approximately 1/4 inch even thickness.
- 2. Whisk three eggs and pour into a separate bowl. Dip each chicken piece in the egg mixture until well coated.
- 3. Stir Almond Flour with Cornstarch or Tapioca Flour in a Large Bowl. Dredge the egged Chicken on both sides, shaking off extra.
- 4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add one minced garlic clove and swirl in the oil for one minute. Start adding chicken to the pan. Cook chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown. I also place a few orange slices in the pan, which carmelize with the chicken and add to the yummy orange flavor. Place chicken on a plate while you make the sauce.
- 5. Put chicken back in the large pan and pour marinade over the chicken pieces, bringing them to a low simmer. Simmer on low for one to two minutes until chicken temps at 165 degrees and is white inside.
- 6. Serve with sliced scallions and sesame seeds over rice. We also love to serve this with steamed broccoli or green beans.
Easy Orange Marinade
- 1. Add Coconut Aminos, Ginger Powder (or fresh minced Ginger), Garlic Powder (or Fresh Minced Ginger), Maple Syrup, Sesame Oil, and Orange Juice to a medium pan. Bring to a low simmer.
- 2. Whisk cornstarch or tapioca flour with Two Tablespoons of water in a small bowl until smooth and add to marinade.
- 3. Stir often until the marinade is well combined and thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Add Orange Zest. Turn off the flame and pour marinade over the chicken in the pan. See above step 5.
Tips for Gluten-Free Orange Chicken Recipe
- If you love Garlic and Ginger, add extra grated ginger or minced garlic to the recipe.
- For best results, use fresh ginger and garlic, but to be honest, sometimes a busy cook needs a shortcut, and powdered ginger and garlic are still delicious.
- You can cut breasts into one-inch pieces and skip the pounding if you prefer small chicken pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make this recipe with boneless chicken thighs. Very delicious. You can pound the thighs with a mallet like the chicken breasts.
Squeezing an orange and adding the fresh orange zest is worth it for the best results.
Red Pepper flakes would add that extra zing to this Orange Chicken Recipe.
Thanks for stopping by Delectable Food Life. If you make this recipe, I always appreciate your 5-star review!
Delicious Gluten-Free Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
Are you looking for a flavor-filled chicken recipe that you can get on the table fast and have delicious leftovers for the next day? This Easy Orange Chicken Recipe is always a big hit! It’s tender with a sweet and spicy garlic-infused Orange Sauce. Kids and adults love this Orange Chicken!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – 4 Large Split horizontally
- Gluten-Free Flour, or Almond Flour or Rice Flour – 2 Cups (I used Almond Flour)
- Garlic Clove – 1 minced
For the Orange Marinade
- Fresh Whole Orange – Zest and Juice from One Orange.
- Tapioca Starch (Cassava Flour) or Corn Starch – 1 Tablespoon for Marinade and 1 to mix with flour to dredge the chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Water to mix with Cornstarch (this makes a slurry to add to the sauce)
- Light Brown Sugar – 2 Tablespoons
- Coconut Aminos – 3 Tablespoons
- Fresh Ginger – 1 Teaspoon (or 1 Teaspoon Powdered Ginger)
- Garlic Cloves- 2 minced (or 1 Teaspoon Powdered Ginger)
- Sesame Oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Olive Oil or Canola Oil – 2-3 Tablespoons for sauteing chicken
Side Dish and Garnish
- White Rice or Jasmine Rice – prepare as on the package
- Optional: Garnish with Green Onions or Sesame Seeds
Orange Chicken Instructions – Step by Step
1. Cut Chicken Breasts in half horizontally. Place chicken pieces in a plastic bag and pound with a mallet until approximately 1/4 inch even thickness. You can also use chicken tenders and skip this step.
2. Whisk three eggs and pour into a separate bowl. Dip each chicken piece in the egg mixture until well coated.
3. Put 2 cups almond flour and 1 Tablespoons of tapioca starch or cornstarch in a large shallow bowl—dredge chicken pieces on both sides.
4. Heat 3 Tablespoons of canola or olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add one clove of minced garlic and swirl in oil for one minute. Add chicken in batches 3-4 minutes on each side until the chicken is golden brown on both sides. Place chicken on a plate while you make the sauce.
5. Once the Sauce is done, place all the chicken back in the pan and pour Orange Marinade over the chicken pieces, coating the chicken and bringing it to a low simmer for 2 minutes. Chicken should be at 165 degrees and white inside.
6. Serve immediately with sliced scallions and sesame seeds over white rice. We also love this recipe with broccoli or steamed green beans.
Instructions for Orange Marinade
1. Zest your Orange first, roll orange on the counter to soften, then squeeze juice from orange. It should be approximately one cup.
2. Slice an additional orange to add to the pan with the chicken pieces,
3. Add Coconut Aminos, Ginger Powder, Garlic Powder, Light Brown Sugar, Sesame Oil, and Fresh Orange Juice to a medium pan. Bring to a low simmer for 3-4 minutes.
(Alternately – If you use fresh garlic, mince one clove of garlic and one inch of peeled ginger root instead of powdered ginger and garlic.)
4. Whisk one tablespoon of cornstarch or tapioca flour with two tablespoons of water in a small bowl until smooth and add to marinade.
5. Stir often until the marinade is well combined and thickened. Add Orange Zest. The sauce is ready to pour over the chicken.
- Always zest your orange first. Then, roll the orange on the counter to soften it before juicing.
- Pat chicken dry before dipping in the egg mixture
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: Orange Chicken, Gluten-Free Orange Chicken, Gluten-Free Recipes, Gluten Free